I thought these were so cool when I spotted them at the Antiques Warehouse, but alas, the date on the back says 2012… So not as retro as I hoped. It saved me $$$ from buying all six though.
Walking home, my wife and I were amazed at how clear the sky was, so we decided to get out the telescope and have a gander. First shot is a picture of the moon seen by the normal eye (iPhone camera) with a planet (I’m assuming, it’s too bright to be a star) and the second and third are using a telescope, and trying REAL HARD to line up the iPhone camera with the view finder lens. These two are the best shots. I just couldn’t hold still. Oh the image is mirrored obviously.
Saw Ender’s Game last night, and it was pretty awesome. I only read the first couple of comics of Ender’s Game, and the key points were in the movie as far as I saw. Still, excellent film.
I met and had a brief chat with a guy at work yesterday, and after I did some research, it turned out to be Chris Conte, a Senior Environment Artist at Sega Studios Australia, and Krome Studios. He was telling me that after Sega Studios closed down, he started another studio not far from where I work, called 5 Lives http://5livesstudios.com. I thought about applying for an internship, but I don’t want to be the lame fanboy. I’m too busy working, saving up for a trip to Disneyland and HOLLYWOOD anyway.
Pixel art on the half hour trains to and from work today. Just realized I didn’t finish the other hand’s fire…
Modeled, Rigged, Animated in Blender, exported to FBX, imported to UDK, Kismet and Matinee.
I get the Viking running around, but I have forgotten how to set the camera to Matinee control… So that’s why it’s recorded straight from UDK.
But this was a test to see if it’d work, and it does so AWESOME.
I also modeled this mesh with interchangeable beard/breast-cups for easy gender swapping… Never thought I’d say that. But I wanted to get started for the college I’m heading to next year, and I did have this idea earlier this year, it’s a platform hack’n’slash in UDK, where you play as a fat viking, and the undead somehow have killed everyone in the village, and now you are on a personal vendetta to hunt down all the zombies/skeletons and kill the undead Mountain King. Again. Cause he’s undead. And you are killing him again…
The mesh is as low poly as I cared to go, with as much rig and bone blending as I had the patience for, the helmet, beard and hair have separate bones for movement.
And brilliant me realized that to get the correct mesh size in UDK from Blender, just divide 112 (that seems to be the player default height) by the mesh’s height dimension (my viking is 9.14 BU). Bam export at scale of 12.25 and correct player height.
Applied to a private college to get a Diploma of Interactive Game Design, using UDK. They wanted me to start next week. Uh, nah, lets start a few months from now thanks. Let me warm up to the idea please. Very excited though.
Imported some animated mesh spazzing out, and figured out the bugs from Blender to UDK (Up and Forward axis, UDK does not like un-weighted vertices, etc). Video is coming…
Downloaded the latest UDK. I haven’t seen any differences from the 2011 version I had compared to the 2013 version… Other than it now complains about FBX files being outdated.
Redid the code, worked out better. Just had a problem with the frame length not being set going from a non looping animation to a looping animation. The animations for each motion is contained in the same sprite, and is controlled by code. The direction is 1 or -1 used as xscale when drawing the sprite.
After a busy few weeks organizing life, seeing George R. R. Martin and other famous people at SupaNova, and setting up a LAN party, I tried to do an 8 bit sort of puzzle platformer. But then Game Maker decided that it’s no longer going to save any of my files. I spent a few hours working on sprites and code, then saved and compiled, and nothing changed from my initial test a few hours before. I thought it was my code, so I debugged for another half hour, then realized that my new sprites weren’t even being used. I checked the resources, they are all there, but it wasn’t using them. Then I closed the file and reloaded, and nothing. All my work was gone. I think it is because my game filename had a decimal in it. As in “game0.1”
Usually I’d give up and play something (like my new copy of Metro Last Light!), but I’m gonna redo this dammit!